Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Rachel Hauck {Writer Wednesday}

A little bit about Rachel...

Rachel Hauck is a USA Today Best Selling, and award-winning author of critically acclaimed novels such as The Wedding Dress, Love Starts with Elle, and Once Upon A Prince.

She also penned the Songbird Novels with multi-platinum recording artist, Sara Evans. Booklist named their novel, Softly and Tenderly, one of 2011 Top Ten Inspirationals.

A graduate of Ohio State University with a degree in Journalism, Rachel worked in the corporate software world before planting her backside in an uncomfortable chair to write full-time in 2004.

She serves on the Executive Board for American Christian Fiction Writers and leads worship at their annual conference. She is a mentor and book therapist at My Book Therapy, and conference speaker.

Rachel lives in central Florida with her husband and pets, and writes from her two-story tower in an exceedingly more comfy chair. She is a huge Buckeyes football fan.


How to connect with Rachel...

Website: www.rachelhauck.com
Blog:www.southernbelleview.com
Goodreads: Rachel Hauck 
Facebook: facebook.com/rachelhauck 
Twitter: twitter.com/rachelhauck
Purchase: The Wedding Chapel 

Author Interview | Rachel Hauck

You and Writing

Tell us a little bit about yourself: How did you start writing? What has kept you writing?
...I started writing as a kid. I wrote my first “novel” in a pale blue, spiral bound notebook when I was ten. I studied journalism in college, and dreamed of writing books but wasn’t sure how to go about getting published. When the Christian market started growing, I found my way in.

...I keep writing because I love it. I love having written. I love the power of story. There are hard days when I don’t like it and I feel uninspired, like a hack, but there nothing else I’d rather do. Nothing else I feel called to do.


Do you have a favorite book or work that you’ve written? If so, why?
...For some reason, I’m not sure why, I’m partial to a book I wrote with Sara Evans, Softly and Tenderly. There’s a touching scene in with the protagonist and her mother that still makes me cry.

What was the hardest thing about publishing? The easiest?
...Hardest part about being published is the business side. How do you grow your readership, improve your craft, and try not to write the same thing over and over. The easiest is having the relationship with the industry, knowing people, editors and agents, and other authors. It helps to have a list of published books on your resume too.

Your Writing

Tell us a little bit about your book. Why did you write it?
...The Wedding Chapel is about a 60 year old chapel in which there have been no weddings. So it’s the story of how the chapel came about and asks the question, “Is it ever too late for true love?”

...I wrote it because, well, here’s an unromantic answer, I had a deadline and needed an idea. I was on vacation in Tennessee and drove past a small wedding chapel. Bing! Idea!


Do you have a favorite character in this work? If so, why?
...I do! Jimmy. I love this character. He’s so genuine and honest.

What is one take-away from your book that you hope readers identify with?
...Stay near to the heart beat of God. 

Writing

Where do you find inspiration for your story/characters? Are they based on real life or pure imagination or both?
...Inspiration is everywhere. I hear it in conversations, reading, watching a movie, hearing the news. Also, I do research to get a feel for what my characters might be like during a certain era or if they work in a specific field. The more authentic you can be with setting and story world, the more real the characters will feel. Even when they do wild, over the top things.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors for writing and/or publishing? 
...Do not give up. You’ll never be published if you quit. Study the craft, read a lot and don’t be impatient. Plus, in today’s publishing world you have options such as independent publishing. Don’t get stuck in one mind set about how to get your work out there. Explore your options. Above all, write a great book.

You

What will you/did you do for Thanksgiving?
...Eat! Ha! I’m not sure yet. I have two deadlines this fall so I think I’ll be butt-in-chair.s

What is your favorite food of the Thanksgiving dinner?
...A family yeast roll recipe! Add gravy or a bit of black raspberry jam and I’m add pounds to the hips!

What are three things you’re thankful for?
...Jesus! My husband and my new Sleep Number bed!
_________________________

Thanks so much for being my guest Rachel! Readers, I have been a long time fan of Rachel's writing and it wasn't until last years ACFW conference that I got to meet her in person. It was surreal meeting someone I'd gotten to "know" through her books first. When she agreed to be on my blog I was overjoyed :D

I personally really enjoyed The Wedding Chapel and am so excited for it to come out in just a few days. I'm also excited to offer an eBook copy here as a giveaway - because you all should read this sweet story. If you don't win, make sure you head over and order this lovely book. See my review of The Wedding Chapel here.
_________________________
I've been gone on vacation and I realize I'm behind on announcing my giveaway winners :/ I'll get to that hopefully tomorrow and add a little update of my own. Plus, I've got some posts to make up so be on the look out :D

No comments:

Post a Comment