Friday, December 5, 2014

Cherie Burbach | Spread the Christmas Joy

 
One of my favorite Christmas memories was right after I got engaged. My future hubby and I were just starting out our new family life, and getting together for that first holiday was so special. We both worked hard to get each other things we’d like, and even though we hadn’t even been dating a year yet at that point, it was clear we knew each other really well. He bought me a lot of nice gifts, but perhaps the one I cherish most was an ornament. You wouldn’t think an ornament would be that memorable, this one was.
It was of a front door of a house and he had our name and the year we got married put on it. It was a simple yet thoughtful gift that I found so sweet. That he was thinking of us, of our lives, now and into the future, really brought it home for me. This was my guy, the one God had chosen for me. This was the one I was going to build a new life with, create family traditions with, and love forever.

It wasn’t until that moment that Genesis 2:24 really stood out: “Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.”

It isn’t about leaving behind your parents or family but about building something new, just the two of you. My grandparents had been married 60 years, and I would often think of our family and the traditions we had just because they met and fell in love. And now, God would be writing a new life story just for me and my husband. How amazingly sweet it is. Every year when we hang that ornament I still feel that moment of sweetness, of the specialness of marrying your best friend and the excitement in making a new life together.
__________________________________


Cherie Burbach is a poet, mixed media artist, and freelance writer specializing in lifestyle and relationships. She's written for About.com, NBC/Universal, Match.com, Christianity Today, and more. Her latest book is: My Soul Is From a Different Place: Poems. Visit her website for more info, cherieburbach.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment