Friday, July 18, 2014

Nicole Jarrell {Writer Friday}

As you can see...

<<<<

We are having a BLAST on our road trip! This was us in Idaho Springs, Co. - a fun stop for me because one of my novels was set there! I got to experience the town just a little bit and then we pressed on to Denver.

We're resting today at a friends house in Arkansas and then hitting the road again tomorrow to visit Nashville (which I'm SO excited to see!). 

I'll be posting another update once we hit D.C. but until then, enjoy getting to know more about Nicole and her writing for {Writer Wednesday} but the "Friday" edition ;)
___________________________________

A little bit about Nicole...

Nicole Jarrell is a self-published author who writes edgy fiction that inspires. When she isn’t doodling ideas in her notebook, she’s enjoying time with her husband and son.

How to connect with Nicole...


Website: www.nicolejarrell.com
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/20095089-nicole
Facebook:
www.facebook.com/nicolejarrellfiction
Twitter: @nejarrell 
Purchase A Light in the Darkness

Writer Interview | Nicole Jarrell


You and Writing

Tell us a little bit about yourself: How did you start writing? What has kept you writing?
...I wrote my first story in third grade in a wide ruled spiral notebook. While my characters and plots have matured since that time, I still enjoy writing with nothing more than a crisp new notepad, ball point pen, and my imagination. Writing has been a part of me for so long, I don’t recall a time when I didn’t find comfort between two light blue lines on a sheet of paper. I love reaching out to others through the characters and ideas running around in my imagination.

Do you have a favorite book or work that you’ve written? If so, why?
...I self-published my first work, a novella, and have written a full length novel that was selected as a semi-finalist in the ACFW Genesis Contest. While these two tales hold special meanings to me, my favorite book is my current work in progress. It doesn’t have a title yet, but it touches on emotional issues that many people face in their daily lives such as the pursuit of perfectionism.

What was the hardest thing about publishing? The easiest?
...I’m self-published which has been a great experience. There are many rising authors that are pursing the world of indie and self-publishing. I’m humbled to be amongst them.

Your Writing

Tell us a little bit about your book or what you’re working on currently? Why are you/did you write it?
...It’s about a nineteen year old girl named Chloe who travels to Nashville, Tennessee hoping to be reunited with her estranged older brother Caleb. But she discovers that he’s been keeping a secret that will rock her engrained morals, and make her question allowing him back into her life. She must learn if there is room for failure and flaws in her perfectly crafted world. She questions her own path, her parent’s definition of success and how she fits into God’s world which is filled with sin and imperfections. I hope that readers will see a bit of themselves in Chloe’s struggles and learn about God’s unending love through the plot.

Do you have a favorite character in this work? If so, why?

...I love my heroine and hero, but it’s my supporting character, Caleb, who I consider my favorite. Even though he doesn’t show up until late Act Two, his presence is felt throughout the whole story. I even considered writing the book from his point-of-view, but it works better from Chloe’s voice. Plus, Chloe is an amazing young lady on the verge of independence. Her story needed to be told.

What is one take-away from your book that you hope readers identify with?

...Love. Jesus said to love one another as he loved us and that includes loving our flaws. No one is perfect, but we’re all worthy of grace and being accepted into God’s kingdom.

Writing

Where do you find inspiration for your story/characters? Are they based on real life or pure imagination or both?
...Most of the time, my ideas come from social issues rather than specific people I met. I study a specific issue and allow the plot to form around that concept, then the characters take shape. A bit of my stories are from real life and a bit are from imagination, but before I start any project, I always pray that God gives me the words to write.

When you write, what is your overall intention with your stories?

...I love to write edgy fiction that inspires, which means that I write about controversial topics in a sensitive yet thought provoking manner. The greatest compliment would be for someone to read my stories and say that it got them thinking of a social issue from a different point-of-view. Whether someone disagrees or agrees with what I write, I would like for God to use me to inspire respectful conversation.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors for writing and/or publishing?
...I’ll give the same advice that I’ve been given multiple times. Write your book for God. Glorify him through your words. Pray for his guidance and don’t be afraid to do his work. God’s given you a unique voice for a purpose. Use it.

You

How do(did) you like to celebrate the 4th of July?
...Cheeseburgers! I love to grill and spend time with my husband and son, so on July 4th we keep it casual. Just some burgers, watermelon and family time.
How are you making the most of your time this summer for writing and relaxing? Do you do anything different in the summer months?
...It’s difficult to find time to write. I have a very active little boy whom I homeschool during the school year and whom I stay home with year round. But we have a nice system where he can watch Spongebob Squarepants for a half hour each day while I do my writing. Yes, this is bribery. No, I don’t have a problem with that. A half an hour isn’t a large window so I have to make the most of it. I also have an amazing husband who supports my writing and gives me Saturday mornings off “Mommy duty” so I can go to a coffee shop and work on my story.

Do you enjoy hot weather or cold better?
...I’ve always lived in hot states but secretly I love the cold. I dream of living in the north and getting away from 99 degree summers with 100% humidity! Maybe I could write a story about a woman who lives in Maine and convince my family we need to move there for “research”. Sounds like a plan!

 ___________________________
Thank you so much for this great interview Nicole! Happy to have you on the blog and I'm excited to be visiting Nashville (maybe I'll meet Chloe there? *hehe*). And good luck on finding time to write this summer despite the activity of your son ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment